Tuesday, October 23, 2007

spinach and orzo with gruyére

Spinach and Orzo with Gruyére

I have an addiction. Not one of those I-can't-live-without-it substance abuse kinds, but an I-want-to-and-there's-no-one-here-to-stop-me kind. So what indulgent behavior am I referring to? Sleeping -- on the floor.

Yes, almost every night I fall asleep on the floor. Often right next to the empty bowl of whatever I ate for dinner. It's a bad habit, really -- one that upends my sleep cycle and usually leaves me wandering around my apartment at 3 or 4am, not sure what to do since I'm wide awake -- and I can't particularly explain it. This behavior is especially baffling if you know that I recently purchased a fabulous mattress that is, without a doubt, the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on. I'd like to think that this silliness will stop when I purchase a sofa, but it's not true. When a sofa arrives, I'll just fall asleep there instead.

Anyway, last night I fell asleep next to an empty bowl of spinach and orzo with gruyére. I've tried this dish a few times with various kinds of cheese and it seems to taste best with feta, which is what the original recipe recommends in the first place. My only additional note is that this recipe requires a hefty dose of salt in order keep it from being unappealingly bland. Consider giving this a try the next time you are in the mood for a simple pasta, but do yourself a favor and begin your food-induced coma somewhere other than the floor.

Spinach and Orzo with (Insert Your Favorite Salty Cheese Here)

Adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
Serves 4 as a side

1/2 pound orzo
1 pound spinach, trimmed*
1/2 - 1 cup feta (or salty cheese of choice), crumbled or grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, prepare the orzo according to the package directions. Drop in the spinach and stir until wilted. Drain the water from the pot and then add the olive oil, lemon juice, and cheese. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined. Salt and pepper to taste.

*I was lazy and didn't trim the spinach. The stems will get stringy and gooey when it wilts, so don't skip this step if that will bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment