Thursday, March 6, 2008

lime-glazed cookies

Lime-Glazed Cookies (large)

This morning I've been reflecting on a little get-together I held at my apartment last night. It was a simple concept -- cookies + cocktails + movie -- and so much fun! Why didn't I think of it before? It was easy to string a theme together and the prep work was not unduly burdensome for me, the host. I think perhaps Cookies & Cocktails should be a monthly event. (Yes, I did consider Cupcakes & Cocktails, but the cupcakes don't work quite as well for finger food.)

These lime-glazed cookies, which I made for Cookies & Cocktails #1, are a cinch to whip up, especially if you have a citrus juicer (Williams-Sonoma sells this one, which I have; Crate & Barrel sells one as well) and a Microplane grater (also available at WS and C&B). These are cheap tools that I highly recommend; I use mine often for both cooking and baking. Anyway, adding the lime zest and juice to both the cookie dough and the glaze adds a punchy twist that elevates the cookies from the ranks of humble and plain to something much more suitable for entertaining. You could easily swap out the limes for lemons here. In fact, I intend to make them again using lemon in the cookie dough and adding raspberries to the glaze. There's a bottle of Chambord in my local liquor store that has been begging me to bake with it, after all....

Lime-Glazed Cookies
A recipe from Everyday Food
Yields about 30 cookies


Cookies
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons grated lime zest (2 medium limes)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Glaze
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
5 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime zest

To make the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add lime zest, lime juice, and salt; beat until combined. Add flour; beat until dough is just combined.

Using a 1" scoop, drop the dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until cookies are puffed and barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool; glaze.

To make the glaze:
In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until spreadable. Using back of a small spoon, spread about 1/2 teaspoon glaze on each cooled cookie. (Hint: After making the glaze, you may want to wait a minute or two before spreading it on the cookies. This allows it to set up a little so it won't run right off the cookies when you put it on.)

1 comment:

  1. These delicious looking cookies caught my attention! I imagine they simply melt in your mouth. They sound very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete