Tuesday, July 8, 2008

deviled egg salad sandwiches

Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches

I get up early. Waaaaay earlier than when I need to be at work. I check my email, eat some breakfast, and then I take my sweet old time getting ready. It's relaxing. I like it that way. What I do not like, however, is interruptions to this four-hour morning routine. I do not want to flop down on the couch with my bowl of Special K, pull up my email, and then be scared half to death by some scuttling black creature on the next couch cushion over. That's just wrong. It must be the result of some heavenly, anti-gravity force that my barely touched cereal didn't spill forth onto the laptop, the carpet, and everything else within 15 feet when I leapt from the couch as though it were on fire. Yes, there is a God, and He kept the cereal bowl in my hand and gave me a vacuum with which to suck up that slinky black insect. (And I think God would be OK with me condemning it to death in my vacuum canister -- it obviously would have eaten me if I hadn't sucked it up first.)

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to give a very helpful review of this recipe. (So I guess you can stop reading now? Are you even hungry after that bug story?) I got up and made the egg salad in the morning before work but then I remembered that the first thing on my agenda that day -- after playing BugBusters, of course -- was a lengthy out-of-the-office meeting. I couldn't leave a mayo-based salad just hanging out in my hot car while participated in a stimulating discussion about short-term investment policies (not what I do for a living, thankfully), so I didn't get a chance to really eat the egg salad sandwich until I got home that day...and by then it was sort of...dry..ish...and I wasn't really hungry. Helpful, huh? Perhaps the best thing I can tell you is that I dipped my finger in the egg salad while I was stirring it together that morning and it tasted pretty good then. At least as good as any other egg salad I've had. Oh, and I used basil instead of parsley because that's what I had on hand...and then I threw it all over the plate for a palm-tree-like effect in my picture. Or does it look like marijuana? (Sorry! Promise to do better next time!)

Deviled Egg Salad Sandwiches
A recipe from At Home with Magnolia: Classic American Recipes from the Owner of Magnolia Bakery
Makes 4 sandwiches


6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup diced and seeded grape tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped scallions (green and white parts)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 slices bread

Place all the ingredients except the bread in a medium-size bowl and mix thoroughly. Divide egg salad among 4 slices of bread. Top with the other 4 slices of bread and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment